Saturday, August 11, 2007

Gramps

There is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson.
Victor Hugo

Of the 5 of us, 3 have been married. Only my older sister had a child, my nephew. He is now a grown man, married to a woman the whole family adores.

He, too, has so much of my father in him. The single characteristic that strikes me most is his devotion to his family. He deeply cherishes not only our branch of his family tree, but all the members of his blended family -- sisters and brother that are steps- and halves- and a variety of aunts, uncles, and so on.

On his own, he chose the names "Grams" and "Gramps" for my parents, names that I find incredibly endearing. He is, and has always has been, completely cherished by my Mom and Dad. Not that the rest are slackers in the love-and-devotion department when it comes to him, but to Mom and Dad........I can't really explain how much he means to them.

I personally enjoyed watching my parents interact with him when he was a child. The unconditional love, the nurturing, and the spoiling they lavished on him reminded me of my own grandparents. As an adult, their pride in him is boundless.

He has grown into a man to be proud of. He recently drove many hours from his home to help celebrate my mother's 80th birthday. I am sure it never occurred to him not to come. That's only one small example of his devotion. He and his wife are with us, at least for a while, for virtually every holiday, large or small.

He also has my father's gentleness and kindness of spirit. I watch him now, as he witnesses his Gramps' inexorable decline and can only imagine the pain it causes him. He is tender with both of them, and it fills my heart to see the love he feels expressed so sweetly.

Being blessed enough to have him as a part of our family makes me so thankful. Through him, my Daddy and his Gramps will never disappear.



No comments: